George @ Berklee

Making the most of $40,000

Wednesday, September 06, 2006

Brand New Laptop = Brand New Blog

Hi everyone, I'm writing this blog entry from my brand new and very expensive Berklee Laptop. Here's a picture.

Also, notice that in the profile pic, I'm wearing a tie. I totally said I was going to do it. :P

School is pretty great so far, there's so many great musicians and the facilities are top notch. I went to the library today and was amazed at everything they had. They have an incredible selection of books, cds and dvds. (I watched the Beatles on the Ed Sullivan show on DVD, sweet..)

I'm getting settled into my dorm room with my roomie Eric. The room is a double but it shares a common area and bathroom with a single room so we have a half-roommate named Skylar. I'm in a really old building on Hemenway Street and I was kinda taken aback at how it looked at first but it's quickly becoming home.



(Eric is the top picture, Skylar is on the far right on the right picture, I don't know who the other 2 guys are, pretty standard when you're living in residence)

Pretty much everyone is better at guitar than I am . There's something ridiculous like 1200 guitar principals here at Berklee and they rate everyone on a scale from 1-8 on 4 different categories. 8 is the best. My audition was good enough for a solid 2 average so I have plenty of work to do. It sounds bad but that's about the average for the entering student here. If you show up and you're already all 8s, there's nothing more to teach you. It's been fun so far and I'm really relishing the opportunity to practice pretty much all the time.

Classes start on Monday so I'm going to a couple short seminars/tech classes each day so I can't say what the actual classes are like but I have met some cool people. Here's some pics:



This is Latoya. She plays violin and is Eric's fiance. Needless to say, I end up seeing her alot.







This is Izumi. She's literally the girl next door. She's a guitar principal and is from Toronto. (T-dot Liz! Holla!)






This is TJ. He's from South Beach, CA and is also a guitar principal. He's apparently pretty proud of his ID card in this picture.



I've met tons of interesting people. Coming up: pictures of Jae from Korea (very VERY friendly guy, I'll explain later), Josh Cuadra (I think he's from Texas? I forgot. Also with an awesome sounding last name like Cuadra, pronounce it Quad-Rah, why doesn't he get everyone to call him by his last name?), Joe from Canterbury, England (His sax is lost in the mail or something right now) Also the cafeteria is pretty awesome, but I've heard that after a week or so, you get really sick of it. I'll try to post more tommorow.

Oh, there's not many pictures of the Berklee buildings because I don't want to look really touristy by snapping pictures of everything. :)

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hmmm, I notice that even though you are wearing a tie, you still aren't wearing a collared shirt. Very.......George.

Anyhoo, glad to see your happy and healthy, Jake and the boys all say Hi!

SEEya

Thursday, September 07, 2006 11:58:00 AM  
Blogger Guitar George said...

I like this "champion of guitar" stuff, actually I think I want to learn the little mac punch-out theme on guitar now :)

Thursday, September 07, 2006 8:06:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow! Sounds like you are meeting a lot of cool ppl there. And you said 'holla'? Ooh, you're an East Coast boy now, hehe!

Friday, September 08, 2006 8:51:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You could easily be making money online in the underground world of [URL=http://www.www.blackhatmoneymaker.com]blackhat blog[/URL], It's not a big surprise if you haven’t heard of it before. Blackhat marketing uses little-known or misunderstood methods to generate an income online.

Tuesday, March 23, 2010 9:19:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home